It’s amazing how often our misconceptions take us down the wrong path.
- We think that the way to get ahead is to work harder than anyone else.
- The path to professional success is personal sacrifice.
- Sleeping less will give us more time for productive work.
- Daydreaming is a waste of time.
- We can just “push through it,” whatever it is.
- Work is work, and our personal lives are our personal lives.
The truth is, we know that getting ahead isn’t about working harder than anyone else. Personal sacrifice can be taken to extremes, damaging or destroying our relationships and our support networks. Sleeping less not only leaves us tired; it can leave us with the same functional ability as if we were intoxicated. Allowing ourselves to daydream can open the door to creative, innovative solutions to problems that hours of holding our heads in our hands while staring at a blank page (or screen) failed to yield. Pushing through may work sometimes; it is far from a strategy for success. And, as much as some of us would like it to be the case, we are not separate people at work and at home. What happens at work doesn’t stay at work any more than what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas, and vice versa. [Read more…]